Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Once a Degenerate....


...always a degenerate.

The trial I have sat jury duty for is now winding down after a very long, (in my opinion) idiotic process which will be outlined when I can do it without ending up in the hoosegow, as it wouldn't surprise me if somebody in Sacramento County's courthouse does nothing but search for blog entries about trials all day.

This means we got four hours to knock around downtown today, while the lawyers and judge wrangled over their various issues.

I spent part of the time hanging out at the California Capitol building. I'd never been before; and it seemed like a good place to dodge panhandlers and the permeating scent of human urine so prevalent in downtown Sacramento.

The Assembly Gallery was a fantastic place to sit and reflect, read the paper, and generally cool out. It was quiet and dignified... because the Assembly is out of session right now.

I then went to have a look at the rotunda. I gazed up into the dome and marvelled at the beautiful, ornate design of the ornamentation. I stood, at the heart of the largest, greatest, most diverse state in the Union, the seat of power of the world's fifth-largest economy. My thought?

"It looks like Belagio."

No comments: