Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Anorexia Among Unmarried Female Attorneys?

I noticed what I guess I'd have to call a cultural trend among the female attorneys at the courthouse today.

A large percentage of them are rail-thin. And single.

I wonder what the forces could be to create such a phenomenon? Are they sacrificing all for their careers? Including the health of their bodies? A shot at motherhood? Any sort of personal life? Do billable hours count for so much?

I couldn't decide if this broke down over certain disciplines of law. Was it confined to criminal defense counsel? Are civil law practitioners just as anorexic looking? What about prosecutors? They would be overworked in this age; and have those skinny Law and Order role models to boot.

Our DA in the trial is married and pregnant. A trend-breaker. I figure this is just about her last case for a while.

The Jolie-esque defense counsel fits right into the mold though. She's probably 5'8" and I'll bet goes 115 tops. Her lips make up a measurable percentage of her mass.

Oh, yeah. I came in right behind her this morning. Her boots set off the metal detector. She had to take them off and pass them through the X-ray.

I watched.

No comments: