Monday, January 03, 2005

For Mah Baby

We’ve gone on a bit of an Ebay spree at Casa Paste lately.

My wife is a huge fan of the book series featuring ‘Madeline’, a character I’d never heard of before we’d met.

Through the miracle of the above mentioned auction place, we’ve acquired some Madeline items for our daughter to enjoy as she grows. Some of this stuff apparently is rare. My wife would know.

For the past few days, we’d been eyeing an original artwork by the author. It grabbed my wife’s heart, and even passed my jaded critical eye in terms of authenticity.

This morning, things came down to it. The bidding war had started. I checked out the buying history of those we were up against. A couple of our competitors were serious collectors. One of them even struck me as a liiiiiiitle strange. An image of some recluse sitting in the basement surrounded by his ‘little girl’ treasures sprang to mind. I’ll spare you what I saw him doing there.

Anyway. We won the item. With no small amount of soul searching on the part of yours truly. This thing went high. But, should the apple of our eye actually develop something of a love for ‘Madeline’, this might become a prize possession. Not to mention the fact that she can hear the story of how her folks really couldn’t afford this kind of thing, but they loved her so much they were willing to sacrifice to get it for her…. you know the spiel.

Now. On to the sacrifice. The love for my little girl is so powerful, I was willing to make (for me) the ultimate: my poker winnings.

This is huge. In the past, things had gotten so tight that I drained the bankroll at the grocery and so on. Later, I’d put together fifty bucks to send to PokerStars, that through hard grinding I’d run into some hundreds. A quarter, fifty cents per bet. GRINDING, yo. This is now on its way back to me, to be sent to the Ebay seller. Sacrifice, baby. It means so much more when you part with something dear.

‘Cause I was about to move up to a dollar a bet.



No comments: