Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Missive from Dawn

This might be a fun experiment. I'll post around 5:30 AM, when I've been up all night and I'm starting to get weird. I'm wasting too much good material on message boards, I ought to put some up here. But, maybe you aren't interested in debating the merits of being a 14 year-old boy and crossing paths with Debbie Lafave.

I lost my 'NOC (Network Operations Center) night - shift cherry virginity' tonight. I had to wake up an on-call person at around midnight, because it seemed a server had gone down. She sleepily and not-too-crankily explained that it has been taken out of service. I managed not to mention that if her group would update the freakin' database to reflect that this server is no longer 'production' then I wouldn't have called. Oh well. Boo hoo.

I had to wake her up again at 4. Heh. This time a legit server had crashed. She stepped me through remote reboot, and all was well. Then, she mentioned that I need to look at the "Memory Dump Procedure", which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist anyway. She wasn't quite so not-cranky this time.

Now, the sun's coming up and it's really beautiful. I'd appreciate it more, but I'm the parent of a toddler. I've seen enough effing dawns the past two years to last me a lifetime.

I have a little over two hours to go. Weird part about this shift on this job is, my brain is beginning to shut down, but now the East Coast is reporting for work and problems are about to start, meaning I have to be sharp. By the time 8 AM rolls around, I'm in a real state. Luckily I ride my bicycle home, so I'm not tempted to road-rage on anybody's ass. It's a nice decompression. Also, I get to check out the milfs who are out pushing their babies. You don't see them before seven, when I used to bike in for the day shift.

OK, peace and love.

Sheri, hang in there. I'm sending you the good Kalifornia energy.

Oh, yeah. Is anybody else reading the new 'Harry Potter'? Dumb question, I know. Without dropping any spoilers, I can't believe Rowling put the word 'slut' in there. I had to blink and check again. My my, Harry's growing up.

No comments: